The City of Fort Smith SWSD accepts hazardous waste to help protect the health of our residents and preserve the environment. In order to accept hazardous materials, the hazardous material must be in its original containers with original labels. The city cannot accept products without labels or unknown products or materials.
Please note: Hazardous Waste is only available to Sebastian County residents and not available to commercial businesses.
Our free Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility – operated jointly by the City of Fort Smith and the Sebastian County Regional Solid Waste Management District – is located at the Fort Smith Landfill.
To ensure safety, avoid spills by securing all products before transporting them, transport hazardous materials in your trunk or truck bed (away from passengers), keep hazardous products away from children and pets, do not eat or drink while handling hazardous products and do not mix contents of different or unknown products together.
Hours of Operation
Monday-Friday: 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Saturday: 7:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Items WE DO Accept
- Automotive Products: Motor oils, oil filters, antifreeze, brake and transmission fluids
- Lead Acid Batteries: Car, motorcycle and marine
- Dry Cell & Button Batteries: Nickel-Cadmium, Lithium and Alkaline.
- Paints: Oil-based, water/latex-based, stains, shellacs, lacquer, varnish, turpentine and aerosol cans.
- Thinners, Strippers and Selected Solvents: Non-chlorinated solvents only.
- Household Pesticides and Herbicides: Over-the-counter products only.
- Fluorescent Light Bulbs: Ballasts included.
- Aerosol Cans: Full or empty.
- Sharps: Used medical needles (deliver in heavy, clear plastic container with lid).
Items WE DO NOT Accepted
We will also not accept explosive materials or tires, although our attendants will provide residents with a list of free local tire disposal facilities.
Recyclable Hazard Wastes
Many Household Hazardous Waste materials can be recycled, including:
- Paint thinner
- Paint stripper
We have a small building to house these products and make them available to the public for free in the re-use area. Any Fort Smith resident is welcome to come by and see if we have something available at our Household Hazardous Waste Site that they can use and take it at no charge.